On birth control and had breakthrough bleeding like had two cycles of bleeding. Normal?

I'm on birth control and have been for 13 years I'm 35 years old. this month I've had breakthrough bleeding 3 days before I was off the pill and it's like I've had two cycles of bleeding. Is this normal? I called my doc and they said breakthrough bleeding is normal so long as I'm not having any pain, I'm not but I'm just concerned!!!
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Breakthrough bleeding can be normal

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I can understand your concern.

Breakthrough bleeding is not normal unless until you have missed any pills.

Kindly reply to a few questions so that I can help you further-

1. What pills you are taking? what is the dose of oestrogen & progesterone?
2. If you had missed any pills in the previous cycle, if yes how many pills did you miss?
3. Did you ever had this type of bleeding in between the periods?
4. Do you have any associated lower abdominal pain or white discharge?
5. Did you undergo any recent ultrasound scan? if yes, what was the endometrial thickness in that scan?

Please ask if you have more questions, and do write back with the answers so that I can guide you further.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: On birth control and had breakthrough bleeding like had two cycles of bleeding. Normal? 5 hours later
I'm taking lutera and no this has never happened before between periods.No I've not missed a pill, and no I have no lower abdominal pain no white discharge and no ultrasound scan
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation is essential to rule out any pathology

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. After analyzing your query, though its a first episode its not normal to have breakthrough bleeding, I feel you should get examined by an OBGY specialist i.e per-speculum examination to rule out any cervical lesions or any local pathology of cervix. Also get a PAP smear done, its a very important screening test.

I am not in favor of breakthrough bleeding because you have not missed any pills, which is the most common cause.

To be on safer side I also advise you to get a pelvis scan to rule out any uterine pathology, it will be just a baseline screening. Uterine or cervical polyps can be picked up by scan. Some doctors can advise you to get Hysteroscopy done which is a OPD (out patient) procedure.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile