On birth control. Started taking citalopram 20 mgs. Getting light periods. Is it safe to get pregnant?

May 2013
I am taking 20 mgs of citalopram. I just began this medication 2 or 3 weeks ago. I am also on birth control to regulate my periods. This period is extremely light. Ive never had it so light. Is this normal? What about when I want to get pregnant, will i be able to safely do this while on citalopram?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

normally when you use contraceptive pills they will lead to anovulatory cycles and the resultant bleeding at the end of the month will be withdrawal bleeding which may be lighter than usual.

citalopram as such not mentioned to cause menstrual irregularities but by causing changes in weight it can lead to hypomenorrhea,

increased stress ans strain, drastic changes in body weight, low body fat etc can cause scanty bleeding during periods by affecting hypothalamo-pituitary -ovarian axis,
also hormonal disturbances as in poly cystic ovarian disease or thyroid disorders can cause hypomenorrhea.

when your cycles become regular and you want to conceive, stop the tablets with your doctor's advice and in few months your ovulation will return.

when used in pregnancy citalopram may affect the baby by causing withdrawal symptoms like feeding difficulties, seizures etc, so it should be used only when benefits over weigh the risks.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.