On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk?

Question
Okay well my friend has missed her period for the whole month of November but she's on Birth control and we used a condom everytime I pulled out with the condom on and I always check the condom and everything was good but now she freaking out bc she missed the whole month of November, why?
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 44 minutes later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for the query

If she is taking birth control pills regularly without missing them even for a single day then the chances of pregnancy are rare.Tell her to do pregnancy test in urine for being more sure.Other causes of delayed periods can be anemia, stress , hypothyroidism , polycystic ovaries etc for which she has to undergo certain investigations under doctor's guidance like ultrasound , thyroid profile etc.Till then tell her to take iron pills and do not take any stress.Regular activity helps to start the periods.
Best wishes and good luck
Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk? 1 hour later
Well I doubt she is, she told me she is having back pains and she's been throwing up but I'm thinking its been so long wouldn't she know by then? It's been since oct 27 and like I said we used a condom and she's on BC and I even used the pull out method but with the condom on me still. And afterwards I went to the restroom and checked it I put water in it the check for holes (like a water balloon) and everything was fine, but now she missed a whole month and she's freaking out and she's freaking me out, I keep telling her that's there's no way bc everything checks out, anyways after know the story what are you thoughts of her chances of being prego?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 29 minutes later
Hello
Welcome once again

If she has missed the whole cycle and she is having vomitings and backache , there can be chances of pregnancy but one can not keep on assuming things , you have to face the facts and they come by investigations like pregnancy test in urine and ultrasound or by blood tests so it is better to tell her to do the test.

Best wishes once again
Good luck

Follow-up: On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk? 15 hours later
Well how is that possible? She's on BC and I used a condom and pulled out before I even finished, and then checked the condom and there wasent any tears or anything everything was fine, I don't see how it's possible.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later
Hello

Welcome once again

If you are 100% sure that she is not pregnant then just wait for few days and see for the bleeding to occur

Best wishes

Follow-up: On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk? 5 hours later
She just told me that she stop taking yahz on October 31 4 days after we had sex now she missed the whole month, can it be because she stop taking the pill? Please help I'm freaking out and crying please

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 minutes later
Hello

Just relax , crying is not the solution for your problem.

If she has missed the tablets there can be chances of pregnancy and she could have done the urine test at home with Kit available in the market.If it shows two lines means it is positive and there are solutions for that , if you want to abort there are pills available so do not worry.

Best wishes

Follow-up: On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk? 13 minutes later
Okay so I was reading online and they say it takes approximately 5-12 weeks or three months to have a period bc your hormones are all out of wack, and again she stopped taking them on oct 31 only because she finished her pack and our last time was 27th of that month. So she was still on her Birth control and we used another form of protection. So is this information true? Can she really not have a period for a while just because she stopped using birth control? I mean again I seriously doubt that she can even be pregnant bc we used two firms of protection and I even pulled out before I came.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello

Yes it can be due to birth control pills also but what is the harm in doing pregnancy test which is not costly and easy to perform at home.You should take her in confidence and do the test rather than assuming things as facts can be different from observations

Best wishes once again

Follow-up: On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk? 11 days later
Well she took a HPT and two lines showed but one was very faint, and what can you tell me about abortions? Please be very detailed about this please :(

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for writing back and doing the test.

If it is a faint line then it could be false positive result or missed abortion.
As she has not started the periods yet so the chances of pregnancy are more.
To re-confirm you can get the test repeated or get an ultrasound done if possible , if not then she can take abortion pills under doctor's guidance.They are available OTC but do not take directly from there as there can be side effects like excessive bleeding etc.

Best wishes

Follow-up: On birth control. Had protected sex. Missing periods. What are the risk? 11 hours later
She said she took the test then went to a friends leaving the test behind and letting it sit for approximately 3 hours, when she came back that's when she saw one dark line and a faint line.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 hours later
Hello

Welcome once again

It should come positive within 5 minutes.Keeping for 3 hrs and then showing a faint line can be false positive result so please repeat the test and get blood tests done along with an ultrasound.
Best wishes