On birth control. Getting periods while having sex. What does this mean?

Critical Care Specialist
im on birthcontrol but every time i have sex i get my period, what does this mean?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 hours later

Your query seems to be very short. Please provide me further details about your symptoms, so that I can answer you specifically.

Do you have full period or just bleed? Rough sex or touching cervix may cause bleeding but not full period.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: On birth control. Getting periods while having sex. What does this mean? 2 hours later
I have a full period but it isn't my usual flow it is very heavy and very dark. And it isn't very rough sex but every time I have sex it causes me to have my period whether I'm coming up to my period or not at all.
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 58 minutes later

Bleeding after sex has several causes and they should not be taken lightly. Causes could be cervical dysplasia, chlamydia, vaginitis, adenomyosis or inflammation of the endometrium, uterine polyp and fibroids of the uterus.

You should schedule an appointment with your OBGYN for ultrasound and vaginal culture and treatment would be accordingly.
I hope you get better soon.