On birth control. Feeling stomach ache and bloating. Started clotting. Have I miscarried?

Hey, I believe I might have had a miscarriage this weekend. I think I was bout three weeks along. I was not for sure I was pregnant, I was waiting until tomorrow to see if I missed my first period. I have been on birth control the whole time. But this weekend starting around thursday I had bad cramps and pains and then friday clotty looking stuff kept coming out of me almost like a period but it was grey and brown and bloody. The worst ended friday-sunday but today I have still had some stuff coming out and now my stomach is in horrible pain and bloating bad. Is that normal?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 38 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
I don't know which form of birth control you were on if it was "pills" & you were using it regularly & punctually then chances of you being pregnant are very less ( < 1% ) but the pattern of bleeding you are quoting is certainly not normal.
To check your pregnancy status & to investigate this abnormal bleeding pattern I suggest you to have one pelvic ultrasound scan & one blood test called Serum Beta hCG. This will tell you about the most likely problem you are facing.
I also suggest you to see a Gynecologist to rule out any other Gynecological problem like infection that may cause such symptoms.
Apart from that, since you are having so much pain it is important to rule out an ectopic pregnancy which is a more likely diagnosis with the history provided by you.
So, see a doctor as soon as possible to get a proper diagnosis & treatment.
Wish you good health.
Best regards.

Follow-up: On birth control. Feeling stomach ache and bloating. Started clotting. Have I miscarried? 21 minutes later
Also I took a home pregnancy test and it came back negative monday.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 23 hours later
Thanks for your question. Hope you are feeling better today.
Home pregnancy test is a reasonably sensitive test for pregnancy. You did a good thing by trying it.
Yes, it is a good idea to see your doctor first & discuss your problem in detail. If needed he/she will refer you to the proper specialist.
Wish you best of luck & good health.
Warm regards.