On birth control. Can the drop of pre-seminal fluid on finger cause pregnancy?

I have a strange but true question. My girlfriend is extremely worried because the other night I had a drop of pre-seminal fluid on my finger, which i wiped off before waiting several minutes and inserting the finger which was completely dry of fluid at this point inside her vagina. She is on birth control but had not yet taken it that day.
She is worried some kind of residual may have been on my finger and although it was pre seminal, she worries it may have had sperm in it and may override her birth control and cause her to get pregnant. I feel she is worrying for nothing. I just wanted to make sure with you first. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 days later

It is very normal of your girlfriend to be extremely worried at this time. I empathize with her. Your question is right and there is nothing wrong in having one such question in mind.

Firstly, the drop of pre-seminal fluid on your finger and the act that followed, does not seem to be causing pregnancy in any ways that I can think of. So please reassure her and you should relax as well.

Second, she is on birth control. It means to say that even if the drop of pre-seminal fluid entered her vagina, it obviously cannot cause pregnancy as she is on birth control pill. It does not matter that she had not taken it before the sexual act that day.

The chances of the sperm overriding her birth control pills and causing pregnancy are almost nil.

I agree with you that she should relax now.

Go ahead, talk to her and reassure her. She should get her next mensus on the expected date.

Let me know if you have more concerns.