On ativan and elavil for insomnia. Does reduction of ativan and quitting elavil cause nausea?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Excellent

Question
I was taking 2 mg of Ativan and 25 mg of Elavil in the evening for insomnia.
I have now reduced the Ativan to 1 mg and ceased taking Elavil. I have added 150 mg of Wellbutrin (taken in the morning). These changes were recommended by my GP.
Could the reduction of the the Ativan and quitting the Elavil cause the nausea I am having?
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a question.

Ativan contains lorazepam. Elavil contains amitriptyline. Wellbutin contains bupropion. Miralax is a laxative.

Now, reduction of Ativan and Elavil cannot lead to nausea. It may occur due to other conditions.

Possibilities of this conditions are side effects of Wellbutin, Miralax, or other conditions like indigestion, etc.

Right now, you can take combination of pantoprazole and domperidone for this situation. It can definitely give you relief.

Consult with your GP for this side effects and for adjustment of the drugs and their doses accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: On ativan and elavil for insomnia. Does reduction of ativan and quitting elavil cause nausea? 30 minutes later
I know what pantoprazole is and am taking it now, but what is domperidone?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 38 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Domperidone is used to reduce nausea.

So, you can take combination or domperidone separately along with pantoprazole to reduce nausea.

Regards.

Follow-up: On ativan and elavil for insomnia. Does reduction of ativan and quitting elavil cause nausea? 1 hour later
I have researched domperidone and it sounds like a perfect drug for me, but unfortunately it is not approved by the FDA, and so my insurance would not cover it, but it looks like I can get it online--not cheaply.
If you have any other ideas for me, I would be happy to hear them. Because of my IBS I am often nauseous.
Thanks for your help.

Thank you for writing back.

In this situation, you can also take ondansetron. It is more potent drug.

Except ondansetron metoclopramide can also be considered.

Regards.