On atenolol 50 mg. Prescribed spironolactone 50mg for hair loss. Should I continue the medicine?

Question
I am taking atenolol 50 mg daily. Today I saw my Dermatologist, and was given a prescription for spironolactone 50mg daily for hair loss. I see that both meds treat high BP .Should I continue or stop? Help. many thanks XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXX

It is true that both these drugs interact and would cause a further reduction in the blood pressure. But the extent of them together causing a lower BP would depend on how well is it controlled now. If its not very well controlled, we can continue this drug.
So, in order for me to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
Did you control your BP lately? Which was the average value under the treatment with Atenolol? Who did recommend you Atenolol and which was your BP then?

I am looking forward to your answer.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: On atenolol 50 mg. Prescribed spironolactone 50mg for hair loss. Should I continue the medicine? 19 hours later
Hi, and thankyou for your response, atenolol was given seven months after my thyroid operation, due to an increasingly racing pulse. My BP at that time was in the range of 160/70,my GP prescribed atenolol. The average value since has been 145/70. Since both meds control BP would it be wise to take just Spironolactone since this also has the benifits and possibility controlling hair loss? I am only asking for advice not definative answers. I will discuss it with my GP as well. He is so busy I feel I can not take up his time. I am very gratefull for your response and your time Cheers XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

With the current BP average value of 145/70, you can take both drugs without any concern, especially knowing the 50 mg daily doses for each of them.

Of course it is wise to discuss this with your GP too, who has prescribed Atenolol first time.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: On atenolol 50 mg. Prescribed spironolactone 50mg for hair loss. Should I continue the medicine? 19 minutes later
Many thanks for your help, will sleep well tonight! Cheers XXXXXX.

You're welcome XXXXXX

I wish you all the best,

Dorian