On armour thyroid and provera. Having sore throat and ear popping while swallowing. Can this be related to medication?

I just started on Armour Thyroid and provera 2 weeks ago. I now have a sore throat and my ears pop every time I swallow. Can this be related to medication?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

The throat pain and ear popping is not due to the drugs you are taking. I think it could be caused by some kind of infection which has involved the throat and the ears. The ear popping sensation could be due to Eustachian tube blockage or dysfunctions, ruptured or perforated ear drum, external auditory canal blockage by wax, tumor etc. and infection of middle ear are commonest
As of now, I would suggest the following for your symptoms:
a. Take steam inhalation twice daily
b. Take tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily for 3-4 days
c. Salt water gargling and lozenges will also help
d. Please see your physician for a course of oral antibiotics. They may be required.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly