On antidepressants and has on impact on sperm cell. Will it cause any difficulty in conceiving a baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I Would Like to Know if antidepressants ( cymbalta et aventyl) has an impact on sperm cell in quality and in quantity?? We try do have a child past few months and I wonder whether antidepressants are a cause of difficulty to conceive a baby? Also, is there a risk to the embryo or a defect in the baby??
Thank you very much. XXXX and XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No effect in sperm count

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Cymbalta is SNRI drug and in studies it is not known to cause reduced sperm count. It has potential to cause anorgasmia but it has no effect on sperm count. So there should be no doubt regarding loss if fertility.

But it should be discontinued during first trimester of pregnancy. It can cause minor birth defects in pregnancy so best is to avoid this drug if possible. You can consult your psychiatrist for this.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Thanks

Follow-up: On antidepressants and has on impact on sperm cell. Will it cause any difficulty in conceiving a baby? 12 minutes later

For the antidepressant Aventyl ( nortriptyline) ? this is the same thing ? No effect on sperm quality and quantity?

For malformation in children, I was talking about me ( man) antidespresseur with sperm.

Thank you again. XXXXXXX XXXX

Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Nortryptilline is also a good antidepressant and it belongs to TCA group of antidepressants. It is also not known to cause decrease in sperm count. It has high risk of sexual side effects like delayed ejaculation and anorgasmia as compared to cymbalta.

I am sorry about my last answer, if a male is taking these drugs there is no risk of malformations in fetus. There is no effect on sperm quality and quantity so there is no question to effects on fetus.

Thanks