On antibiotics intravenously for endocarditis. Possibility of having the bacterial infection from a mosquito?

My mother is currently in hospital and taking anti biotics intravenously for endocarditis,is it possible that she may have caught the bacterial infection from a mosquito or fly?
Also,she first had the symptons 1 month this deemed as being too long to have waited for treatment?

Thank you
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 58 minutes later
Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

It is extremely unlikely that she contracted the bacteria from a mosquito. Usually the bacteria is something that is otherwise encountered in the environment. Sometimes if somebody has a bad oral hygiene this can be a source for example. bacteria in the mouth can get into the bloodstream and traveled to the heart where the infection occurs. Again it is very unlikely that this came from an insect.

Very often this is diagnosed after several weeks of symptoms because the symptoms are not very specific for the actual infection of the heart. Waiting one month doesn't seem like a long time. Hopefully she will recover with the antibiotics. Sometimes if there is damage to a heart valve a valve replacement might be necessary.

Thanks again for submitting your question. Let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: On antibiotics intravenously for endocarditis. Possibility of having the bacterial infection from a mosquito? 4 days later
Many thanks for your reply.
I have found out this evening that the bacteria that she has is Streptococcus Gordonii
Is this a common cause of Endocarditis and how do you summise that it has come about?
Is this bacteria or fungi and how long is the treatment normally?
She has another echocardigram this to monitor the infection?
Finally on Wednesday she will have an intravenous drip connected to her chest after the last 7 days where the drip has been in her arm.What is the reason for this please?
A lot of questions but I appreciate your thoughts
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Streptococcus is a very common cause of endocarditis. This is a bacteria. It is treated with antibiotics usually through an intravenous line.

I suspect that the reason they want to give her the antibiotics through the chest is because the intravenous line in the arm has a higher risk of developing a local infection. It is reasonable to otherwise infuse the antibiotics through a chest port.

Thanks again for submitting your question. I can appreciate that you're dealing with a lot of stress related to this issue. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Dr. Robert