On antibiotics for a colon infection. Experiencing severe diarrhoea. Looking for suggestion

My mother has been experiencing severe diaherria for over two weeks. She mentioned today her BM has become "grainy" and goes to the bottom of the toilet. She is currently on antibiotics for a colon infection, yet the diaherria has not improved very much. What would cause a "grainy" stool and should I try to take her back to her doctor because of this? XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later

Grainy stool generally is undigested food because of fast transit due to diarrhea.
No improvement in two weeks / still loose and frequent stools / antibiotics > suggests the need to SEE THE DOCTOR AGAIN.

The normal bacterial flora of bowel might have been lost from antibiotic and could perpetuate it / the original agent was not sensitive to the antibiotic / there could be a different infection / at times amoeba / rarely superinfection with other bacteria - clostridia / these are all some possibilities.

Under these circumstances, your original doctor will be the best to deal with it. More investigations may be needed in view of her age and past history of IBS.

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery. Do let me know if you have more concerns.
Good luck