On anti rabies course,on augmentin for arm swelling. Can continue them together ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Age: 40, Male 66kg, no major medical issues

Hello Dr.,

I'm in the mid of anti-rabies course (rabipur) & have completed 0,3 & 7 - my day 14 inj is due today - (the dog is not rabid.... just as a precaution, i checked today, i.e. 14 days from bite & the dog is fully normal..)

Now, I've also been put on antibiotic course day-9 on wards.. (took 8 of the 10 tabs) to treat my arm swelling... which has come down fully now... my question is

1. Can i continue taking antibiotics (Augmentin 650) even as I take the rabipur shot tonight?

2. If I should not take AB with ARV then, should I continue the antibiotics after one/ two days or it doesn't make sense?

Please advise.

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later

I have read your problem of concern.

Since the dog is not sick or dead by day 10 of bite, you may stop the vaccine but it is advisable to finish the course of what you have started.

The antibiotics you are taking is not to prevent rabies, but various bacterial infections which can spread from the saliva of dogs. Usually antibiotics are taken for 7-10 days course, so it is advisable to continue and finish the course as advised by your Doctor, otherwise drug resistance will emerge and the drug may not work next time.

Keep well hydrated. Eat diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

The antibiotic has no relation with the anti-rabies vaccine and is given for preventing other infections from dog bite, so do compete the course. Go regularly for wound check and dressing to prevent wound infection.

You can take booster dose of the vaccine every 2-5 years for better protection against rabies.

I Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: On anti rabies course,on augmentin for arm swelling. Can continue them together ? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr.

I understand your advise as follows;

- I can stop anti- rabies vaccine
- I should continue antibiotics course

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Yes, You may do as advised.

Do keep in touch with your Doctor by proper follow up.

Wish you good health.