On anti depressants. Partner is on champix. Found pregnancy. any effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, my boyfriend was taking champix for what must have been about a week when conceiption took place. Is this safe. Also, I was a low doze of anti depressants after my mother died recently so was on this drug. Just found out I am pregnant today as two days late for my period.

Thank you for answering my question.

Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 45 minutes later

The effect of champix on the quantity and quality of spermatozoa is not studied in detailed yet.
As per the available literature champix possibly will not affect the quality of sperm, so there may not be any harm to the baby because of this.
The effect of antidepressants on the fetus vary from drug to drug, so if you mention the name of the drug you are taking, we can discuss better.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: On anti depressants. Partner is on champix. Found pregnancy. any effect? 12 minutes later
Thank you and to be more specific the anti depressant is 20mg citalopram. Should i discontinue? Have only taken it for 3 weeks.

regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later

Citalopram belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy.
It can cross the placenta. There is possibility of spontaneous abortion with this drug according to manufacturers.
It can cause respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea etc in the newborn baby if used in the late pregnancy.
So better to stop the drug.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.