On and off hurting in testicle. What could be causing this and what should I do?

my right testicle hurts on and off usually once every few weeks or months since last summer but today its been hurting for a good 2-3 hours and still hurting, what's the cause and what should I do?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The possibilities are :
1. Trauma
2. Epididymitis or epididymo orchitis (inflammation of testis/epididymis)
3. Inguinal hernia
4. Torsion of a testicular appendage ( though commonly seen only upto 16 yrs)

1.Any history of fever/urethral discharge/burning urination?
2.Any history of trauma?

I would suggest you visit your physician who might do a complete physical examination and get certain investigations like complete blood picture,urine routine, urethral swab culture(if any urethral discharge), Ultrasound of the testis done.

As an immediate measure for pain relief, I would suggest that you have an anti inflammatory agent like brufen along with an antacid after food( provided there is no history of gastritis/allergy to the drugs/not on any other medication). This might reduce the pain. Along with it, I would advise rest, ice packs and good scrotal support.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: On and off hurting in testicle. What could be causing this and what should I do? 28 minutes later
I don't have a history of any kind.
I was accidently kicked in the right testicle whilst playing football before this began last summer, and was also unlucky a few months ago to be standing in the wrong spot when a football was blasted at full power directly hitting me in the scrotum (this hit both testicles but i have never had any problems with my left testicle). The pain to my right testicle did not increase after the more recent event nor did it become more frequent. The pain usually only lasts 30-40 mins, but it has been a continuous 4 hours at the moment.
Both testicles always look normal and have never shown any physical signs hinting towards anything.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
So, there has been some sort of trauma to the testis in the recent past.. Please, try the measures i had suggested earlier. If there is no pain relief, please visit your doctor for a complete examination and evaluation.