On amoxicillin for sinus infection. Developed cold and hives all over the body. Side effects?

I was recently prescribed amoxicillin for a sinus infection. Days after taking beginning the meds I developed hives all over my body. I discontinued the medication two days ago, however since then I seem to have cold induced urticaria. My hands burn and itch after handling anything cold and I performed the ice cube test on my forearm and a large hive apeared with in minutes. Is this still a result of the antibiotic and will these awful symptoms stop after the amoxicillin is completely out of my system or will they persist? *Note I have never been sensitive to amoxicillin before this round*
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Yes, Amoxicillin is known to cause allergic reactions especially in the skin with various presentations. It can also happen in previously non reactive people. It is due to the release of histamine in response to the antibiotic which causes such hives. Many co-factors like food, climate, and other medications can trigger such a response to the antibiotic.

It is good that you've discontinued the medication. This reaction does subside on its own after few days. But if the allergic symptoms are troubling you, you can take antihistamines like Benadryl.

Do consult your treating doctor and verify if you need alternate antibiotics to treat sinus infection.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.