On amoxicillin . Burning sensation in cheeks, ears and forehead. Is it a side effect?

I am a 47 yr old female and have been on amoxicillin for two days (3/day). Yesterday my cheeks felt like they were on fire shortly after taking the, the same,,including my ears and a little bit forehead...( I'm icing).is this a common side effect? I have 2 small children, my concern is could this be an allergic reaction presenting itself and will it escalate if I continue taking it? My only known allergen is sulpha drugs.
Thank you XXXXXXX
I understand it is not a good idea to not complete an antibiotic treatment, but I know from my experience with a sulpha based antibiotic it was definitely not a good idea to continue with it.....I don't know if I'm having a common side effect or the first signs of an allergic reaction?
Thank you kindly XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 45 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thank you for your health concerns. Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic that can give allergic reactions; the most common one is a drug rash, which tends to be morbiliform, meaning small confluent spots of redness and at times itching. There are many antibiotic options for the treatment of common infections, so the best course of action is likely holding the medication while you talk to the prescribing physician and see if you can use an alternative medication to complete the expected course.

Hope that helps wish you the best health.

Dr Brenes Salazar
Mayo Clinic Rochester