On active birth control, switched to Evra patch.Had discomfort, spotting. Want to delay periods. Side effects ?

Age: 26
I took XXXXXXX birth control (21 pills) from End of Nov 2011 till End of May 2012. I switched afterwards to Evra patch in XXXXXXX (1 month period), I felt discomfort and had constant blood spotting and went back to the doctor to replace it with ZARAH (28 Pills). Today I will start my first Pill of Zarah

In August I am traveling on a romantic vacation and due to the above history my Period will come on the same week of my travel. I want to delay my Period for 1 week only to avoid this.
1. After 3 weeks of the first "active" course, can I add 1 more week of "active" pills (Total 4 weeks) or I have to add another 3 weeks of "active" pills (Total 6 weeks)?
2. Based on your above answer, when should I start again with the pills?
3. Are there any side effects for delaying the period? (given its the first time i do it)
4. Would that move raise the probability/risk of pregnancy? As I am on Fingolimod (Gilenya) and I cannot risk being pregnant due to its effect.

Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
To answer to question about how to take the pills,after you finish the first 21 tablets,instead of continuing with the last 7 tablets which are inactive,you need to start the active tablets from a new pack.However,you have to finish the whole pack the next time after which you will get your period.Continue with the 3rd new pack after that.There wont be any side effects of delaying the period other than some heavy bleeding.There is of course a risk of pregnancy however small but if you use some added protection that can be avoided.

Follow-up: On active birth control, switched to Evra patch.Had discomfort, spotting. Want to delay periods. Side effects ? 2 hours later
In terms if risk of pregnancy. When, and for how many days do you suggest we use added protection?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later
You can use added protection for the first 7 days.In case you happen to happen to miss pills then the equation changes and you will have to use added protection for the cycle.But you purpose here is postponing your periods,so the to remain protected you cannot miss any pills in the previous cycle that is july.