On acid blocker for acid reflux, facing breathing difficulty. Found low iron level. Reason for metallic taste?

Jan 2013

February 15 I was exerting a lot of energy during a school event and I got very short of breath went to school nurse and told her I had acid taste in mouth she gave me acid blocker the next morning still heaviness in chest so went to urgent care it was Saturday they ran EKG perfect chest X-ray perfect. Heart enzyme in blood perfect but found low iron. Went to my regular dr that Monday and he looked at what urgent did and referred me to a Cardiologist I have not had that appointment yet. Two weeks ago still can't breath deep went to our older family dr for many years he did blood panel and found feretin was 5 and hemoglobin 9 so he referred me to a hematologist who prescribed an iron infusion which I had ten days ago my energy level is increasing so I am now able to do chores in the house that I have not done for months this afternoon I have been cleaning and reorganizing closets for about five hours the dr also put me on an acid blocker for the acid reflux. I have just taken my second for the day I took with a diet shake and as soon as I swallowed the extreme gas started and I felt winded thus far the extra iron had not helped with the shortness of breath I had gastric bypass in1991 and that seems to be the root of the low iron problem. I ate a regular lunch and did not seem to have a problem until taking the acid blocker and drinking the diet shake. I have a phone app that checked heart rate and during shortness if breath it was 101 so I laid down and it immediately went to 76 now I am laying down with extreme metal taste in my mouth and gas for some reason I am having a lot of trapped gas at any given time I can press under my breasts and expel gas I am wondering how long does it take iron infusion to increase oxygen. And where is the gas coming from am so tired of pressure which makes be feel short of breath Also during urgent care visit my oxygenation level from finger sensor was 99 % , now that I have been in the prone position for thirty minutes some gas has been expelled and I can take a little better breath but went I do more gas I have no arm pain or jaw pain
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ retro sternal burning pain?
Do you have history of excessive bleeding or blood loss from any orifice?
Do you history of chest pain?

With the available described symptoms and details, there appears to be possibility of weakness to you.
Gastric by pass may cause iron deficiency anemia as iron is absorbed in duodenum and bypassing may hamper absorption.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.
You have already undergone a chain of investigations with normal reports.
You should also go for 2 D Echo and stress test. Blockage in coronary arteries may be detected as early as possible by stress test.
You should also go for repeat endoscopy with biopsy for Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
You should also go for urea breathe test for H. Pylori bacteria.

Normal Hemoglobin for a female is around 12-14 gm% and you should take iron infusion till the goal achieved.
You should also take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics.
You should take proper bed rest.

You should avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, oily and spicy food.
Avoid > 200 ml of milk in a day.
Avoid keeping dough and boiled potatoes in refrigerator.
Avoid legumes and onion and garlic.
All these dietary changes helps in reducing gas formation.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava