On a low-carbohydrate diet. Developed heart palpitations. Did I damaged the heart?

I was on a low-carbohydrate diet for around 4 months, during which time I still ate a small amount of carbs, and consumed protein and healthy vegetables. However, I am worried because I developed heart palpitations (sometimes up to 50 PVCs per day) after I reintroduced carbohydrates. These continued for 6 months but have gone away now. Did I cause myself permanent heart damage? Was it refeeding syndrome or just a more minor electrolyte imbalance? I still consumed carbohydrates during the diet, just in much smaller amounts. Thanks
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 39 hours later
Thanks fpr the query

Palpitation is symptom which experienced by most of individuals of almost all ages. It occurs due to heart damage either due to ischemia or valvular heart disease or conduction abnormalities in elderly people but in young individual ages as of your age the most common cause is either stress or anxiety and dietary deficiency, or low potassium or magnesium. Excess of caffeine can also cause palpitation. You may get investigated for them at the local lab with the help of your doctor.

It is more likely that during your diet modification you have low intake of potassium or either magnesium responsible for palpitations or the cause may also be the anxiety which the common most cause for this age. There is no damage to your heart and correction of the underlying factor will correct the symptom.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask