On Protonix, low stomach acid, PPI

I have been on Protonix for 7 months. I stopped taking them 2 weeks ago. Now it seems that I am experiencing an issue with low stomach acid due to being on the PPI for a this time. Once you stopped taking this drug, how long does it normally take for your body to readjust and regulate itself to start making normal stomach acid production again?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query
PPI(Proton pump inhibitors) are a hit and run drugs. The after effects of PPI usually last only about 16 hours. Reversal of PPI action depends on the synthesis of new pareital or the acid secreting cells and this oocurs within 48hours.
While you are on PPI there is a loss of negative feedback inhibition and the gastrin harmone which is a driver of acid secretion increases. Hence after a course of PPI there is normally a rebound increase in acid and not a decrease
Hope this answers your query