On Paxil, have gained weight. Trying to taper off but feeling nauseous, anxiety and was put on Zoloft

I have been on PAXIL for many years and have gained weight, my doctor has decided to wean me off PAXIL, I am cutting pill in half to 5mg, and have done so for 5 days, I am having a lot of problems, nausea anxiety etc, He decided to put me on 15mg of Zoloft, Am I that sensitive, I have felt like crap, since cutting dosage in half extreme weakness as well is this normal
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

I can understand how you feel sir, but I would request you to be strong-willed, and patient as you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms of paroxetine (paxil).

Once a doctor has decided to wean a patient of a particular psychiatric drug, it is only because the disadvantages of the medication over weigh the advantages. Weaning off a particular medication is a gradual process, which starts with lowering of dosage, and ends with complete discontinuation. Some patients may experience withdrawal symptoms during the dose lowering stage, whereas, others may experience the withdrawal symptoms much after the medication has been discontinued.

Mood changes, weakness, gastric symptoms (nausea, vomiting, etc.) are all common withdrawal symptoms sir. I wish you all the luck you need and am sure you will get through this and look back one day, and be glad you did this. Please write back to me for any further clarifications sir, I would be more than happy to help you.

God bless you and best of luck.