On Norspan following knee surgery. Taking Zoloft will this interfere?

I have been commenced on Norspan Patches 5mg following recent knee surgery these are to be used for a period of two weeks only. Will they interfere with Zoloft that I take daily that is are they a monomine oxidase inhibitor.Thankyou

Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 49 minutes later
Hello XXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Yes, there is a moderate rating of drug interaction between Buprenorphine and Sertraline as per your medication brands. Which means -the side effects of drowsiness, feeling of dizziness and concentration impairment are bound to increase. The consequence of this may affect your driving if you do or any other important work requiring full concentration and alertness.

Since, you have to continue these for 2 weeks - so I would advice you to take precautions for the said period as above. Else, no other serious concerns are evident otherwise and no need of undue worry.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.