On Macrobid, causing stomach pain. Suffer with GERD and take lanzaprazole. Have attacks of gastritis. Suggest?

Dear Dr
I am on Macrobid, but it's causing bad pain at the top of my stomac - I suffer with Gord and take Lanzaprazole every day. However I am familiar with attacks of gastritis quite often and an guessing the Macrobid is causing it. A bit headachy and tired too but my question is should I stop the Macrobid? I have a Uti
Thank you so much
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am Dr. XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based from the information, you are having Urinary tract infection (UTI) and are prescribed microbid, but since you have GERD and have gastritis like symptoms while you are taking microbid from previous experiences. You are wanting to know if you should stop taking the microbid.

Yes, gastritis is a known side effect from taking Microbid. Since, you do have UTI that needs to be treated too.

Here is what I will advice you must do. Talk to you doctor and explain him about the gastritis. He will offer you alternate medication to treat UTI. Once you get the alternative medication you can stop the Microbid at once.

Hope it helps,

Please feel free to contact me in case of any further question or concern.

Thanks for the query