On Librium and Zoloft. Quit beer. To have cirrhosis?

I had my ast and alt taken on XXXXXXX 18 one said 70 the other 90! I am a daily drinker and doctor put me on Librium and 100 Zoloft! I quit drinking beer which was like 14 a day to two shots of vodka a day! Blood retaken tuesdy of this week and now ast 345 and alt 545? I am a 39 year old woman in good shape! I'm I going to have chirrosis?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would first of like to comment on the changes in the values of the measures. Changes are actually expected but these values are really too extreme, maybe the tests should re run or other etiologies of acute liver disease and evaluation of the state of the liver be evaluated.

I am afraid chronic alcohol consumption is for sure a risk factor for liver cirrhosis. It is however not because you have high levels of liver transaminases (ASAT, ALT) that you will develop cirrhosis. The risk increases with the number of years one has been on alcohol, the concentration of the alcohol usually taken and genetic predisposition.

I would suggest you make up your mind with respect to quitting of chronic drinking of alcohol. A complete evaluation of the liver function to control for other causes of raised liver enzymes is important. If not done already, testing for Hepatitis A, B, C and D and doing an abdominal ultrasound could be important initial steps in the assessment. Redoing the transaminases (ASAT, ALT) may be in a reference laboratory could be helpful.

Considering the fact that you do not present with clinical signs of cirrhosis (not mentioned any), I honestly think its too early to think you will have cirrhosis. Quitting alcohol and avoiding any avoidable toxins that could act against your liver is my advice. The opinion of a gastroenterologist could help more I think. I think you book an appointment with one for a complete clinical assessment and further management.

Thanks once again and kind regards. Feel very free asking further questions if need be.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: On Librium and Zoloft. Quit beer. To have cirrhosis? 7 minutes later
But do you think it's the combination of beginning Zoloft and Librium and continuing to drink even though I have slowed consumption considerably? Because the day they took first blood test I had been on a five day binge of drinking due to an engagement break off! Levels were lower then and I wasn't on meds then???? I can't see my doctor until Monday! You have been helpful! Also she felt of my live and said seemed soft not rigid to her and my EKG and bilirubin was great!
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid the combination could only partially be a good explanation. My suggestion is abstain, continue taking your drugs and retake the tests in a reference laboratory after at least two to three weeks of complete abstinence. You need not really bother for now with respect to cirrhosis. Be calm and feel good till you see your gastroenterologist.

Kind regards and wishing you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: On Librium and Zoloft. Quit beer. To have cirrhosis? 14 minutes later
Well do u at least think a good sign he said that my liver felt soft not rigidity? And bilirubin good? Sorry to bug you but I am completely stressed out!
Hi and thanks for the query. It s not a bore per say.

A bilirubin level within normal limits is an indirect sign of intact liver function. Major signs of liver failure or malfunction are not actually signaled by you in any of the symptoms described. This makes me somewhat believe with a high degree of certainty that your liver function to some extent is still in very good shape.

That not withstanding, a reevaluation by your gastroenterologist and control laboratory tests still remain the gold standard. Be calm as you abstain from alcohol.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.