On IUD. Missing periods. Experiencing vomiting. HPT negative. What are the chances of pregnancy?

I am just turning 40, have an IUD since last year (when I got pregnant on the pill) My period was due this past tuesday. The sunday am prior I had severe vomiting for 3 hours, which I attributed to food poisoning, as my husband had the period has not come this week. My home test was negative.
Can food poisoning or the extreme vomiting effect my cycle? What are the chances I am pregnant.....again?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

By the age of 40, many women are experiencing irregularity in terms of their cycles. This irregularity is certainly made more confusing by the presence of an IUD. If it is the Mirena IUD then you likely will get no period. If it is the copper IUD then you will likely get a period but there might some irregular spotting as well.

The vomiting sounds convincing for a problem related to food, especially if your husband had the same problem. Also, the combination of the IUD and negative pregnancy tests makes me think that the chance of pregnancy is extremely low.

In answer to your question, stress and illness can affect your cycle. This combined with the age related changes I mentioned is a likely explanation. The chance of pregnancy with an IUD is remarkably LESS than on the pill. I do not think you are pregnant, but a repeat test in 1-2 weeks is indicated.

It has been a pleasure to help you. If you have more questions, please ask. If you are satisfied with my answer, please ACCEPT the answer and provide feedback. Good luck!