On Gabapentin and oxecodone. Having leg and feet pain. Stopped due constipation. Having pain. Remedy?

Nov 2013

i have been on gabapentin for approx.20/yrs. stated at 400/mg up to 3200/mg tabs per day. have tryed to get off thismedications by my self, and was down to 2/ea 400/mg daily. i also havetaken myself off of oxecodone 5mg which i have been off taILY for 7/days. now only taking gabapentin 2/400mg daily. have lower left leg pains/feet pains? i have done this because i have had no help over many years. stopped both because of constipation which has been extremely painful.?? HOPE I HAVE NOT DONE SOMETHING STUPID?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

You have done everything correctly, and there is no need to worry about your decision.

Gabapentin is a good drug for controlling neuropathic pain, and it can be safely continued for long periods.

Oxycodone is more likely to be the reason behind your constipation, so, we expect improvement in that symptom, now that you have stopped oxycodone.

If your neuropathic pain does not improve, then, pregabalin and duloxetine are other options.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: