On Estrogel and Prometrium. Have been having bleeding and weight gain. Would like to stop treatment?

Question
On Estrogel .06% and Prometrium 100mg (both 1/daily). Have been for 50 days and have had bleeding for 9 days and weight gain. Would like to stop treatment - should I worry about side affects or has the time been too short and the dose low?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I presume Estrogel and prometrium has been given for your post menopausal symptoms. And prometrium is given for protection of uterus to prevent endometrial overgrowth. Its not a good sign to have bleeding on these medications, you need to undergo ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY to rule out any other problem. And also a scan pelvis to see uterine contour and any lesion.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: On Estrogel and Prometrium. Have been having bleeding and weight gain. Would like to stop treatment? 22 hours later
My question was is there an issue with stopping this medication if I was only on it for 50 days?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
You can stop the medication , but you might experience the post menopausal symptom. I also suggest you to stop these medications with immediate effect, because POST MENOPAUSAL BLEEDING (per vaginal bleeding after cessation of menstruation for 1 year) while on these drugs needs to be evaluated. As I already suggested you, you might require a scan pelvis, to know the endometrial thickness and if required endometrial biopsy also.
And you can always try non-hormonal medications for post menopausal symptoms. Happy to help you out with further clarification.
If you do not have any further clarification you can close the discussion. Kindly rate & review my answer. Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: On Estrogel and Prometrium. Have been having bleeding and weight gain. Would like to stop treatment? 4 hours later
I am not post menopausal, however, my last menstruation prior this was in September 2012 (not quite a year). So would this still be a problem with the issues that I had?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 17 hours later
As your age is already 53, its better to get evaluated for the same as I advised you in my previous answer. Because ideally most women attain menopause at 52 years, hence I consider worth getting examined for the same. If all evaluation like scan and endometrial biopsy is normal, nothing to be done, you can safely continue Estrogel & prometrium.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW