On Epilim. Libido has gone to non-existent and lab results shows polycythemia. Is this due to medication?

I have been on Epilim CR200 mg for 1 month to manage headaches that occurred after a subdural hematoma evacuation. I take 1 pill in the morning and another at night. My libido has gone to non-existent and lab results show that I have polycythemia. Both issues came on after I started taking this drug. Is this a low enough dose for me to quit cold XXXXXXX or do I need to wean myself of this?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be injury or ptsd related

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The treatment with Valproate is not a major cause of lack of libido.
You may be suffering due to the aftermaths of head injury.
It can be due to longterm effect of brain injury.
Or there can be the PTSD, a manifestation of mainly depression seen after the recovery from major stressful events like accident or surgery.
You should get an MRI Brain and serum levels of prolactin.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: On Epilim. Libido has gone to non-existent and lab results shows polycythemia. Is this due to medication? 19 hours later
Would it be ok for me to quit the meds cold XXXXXXX or not?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Epilim can be tapered in 15days

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
The Epilim is anti epileptic group medicine and should not be stopped suddenly because it can precipitate seizures.
The drugs should be reduced in a fraction of dose at at a time and whole drug can be stopped in two weeks.
Ideally the drug should be stopped under supervision of a local physician.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.