On Coumadin and has increased dosage, have round hard bruise on thigh. Side effect?

I am taking Coumadin, have been on it several years. It was recently increases.
I have a round bruise in my lower thigh, it is about the size of a silver dollar and
Is hard. I don't recall banging the area.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Echymosis/small hematoma

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the picture. Judging by your history of Coumadin, the appearance on the photo and recent increase in dose, it appears as an echymosis (bruise) or small hematoma if it can be palpated. It looks small and many times there is spontaneous rupture of the capillary vessels even without a big trauma, even friction can do it. I encourage you to monitor the size, it should gradually reabsorb on its own. That is one of the problems with Coumadin, but certainly a small side effect as compared to excellent protection from stroke.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN