On Cesamet for chronic pain, trying to taper off. Having anxiety, fatigue and agitation. What are withdrawal symptoms?

I have been on Cesamet - 5 mg (was on 7) for chronic pain since 2005. I am trying to come off the drug - was recommended to come down 1 mg every 2 weeks. My question is what are the withdraw symptoms - I am experiencing high anxiety, fatigue, light headedness and agitation. Is the drug addictive?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
CESAMET is a cannabinoid and can causes addiction when used for such a long time as you have used.
It's withdrawl symptoms are irritability,depression,trouble sleeping,fatigue,sweating etc.
In fact it should be withdrawn more slowly.
You should try to reduce the dose by 1 mg every 6 weeks rather than every 2 weeks.
Let your system settle on the slightly reduced drug very slowly.
This way it may take few months to come out but you would experience much less withdrawl symptoms.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Bet of luck