On Bystolic for high blood pressure. Have depression and libido problems. Are the side effects due to beta blocker?

I have been on Bystolic 10 mg for high blood pressure for four months. I have noticed side effects of depression and libido problems. Could this medication be causing this and if so, would all beta blockers cause the same side effects for me ? I eat healthy,excercise,am at a good weight and generally have a very healthy lifestyle. So the Doctor feels my blood pressure problem is genetic. I am in my early 60's.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes it can cause Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Bystolic is a beta blocker and beta blockers can cause depression and libido problems. It may or may not suit a patient and hence needs to be changed accordingly. There are many option for hypertension and bystolic can be easily replaced with drgs of other group like ACE-inhibitors or calcium channel blockers. The problems with libido and depression will settle down mostly with time after stopping the meds. However if the problems persist then you may need the treatment for depression. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.