On BP medicine. Having slight chest discomfort and lumps appeared on arm. What are the risks?

multiple lumps on 2 different viens on left arm, when I am having slight chest discomfort or stressed the lumps appear larger, some vein pain at times each day. I take high blood pressure meds only, but am told I also have mitro valve prolapse. My veins feel like clots or blockages to me and I am afraid since I now had to give up my insurance due to costs.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later

From your history it seems to me that you have arterio-venous fistula i.e. abnormal connection between artery and vein that leads to the problem you are suffering from. you need to confirm it by undergoing some physical tests under guidance of general surgeon or vascular surgeon and doin some tests specially the colour doppler test of the involved arteries and veins.

Also undergo an echocardiographic evaluation to assess the mitral valve prolapse because severe mitral valve prolapse sometimes may lead to this condition.

Another possibility is varicose veins of the upper limb as you have already varicosity in the lower limbs.

Therefore get yourself examined to a vascular surgeon and undergo ultrasonographic colour doppler examination to prove the etiology conclusively.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have further queries you can write back to me freely.

Get well soon

Dr Arnab Maji