On BC pill. Missing period. HPT negative. Started abdominal pain, night sweats and fatigue. Pregnant?

Question
I am on BC and did not get my period last cycle, And i am ALWAYS like clockwork. I took 2 HPT and they both came out negative. But I am concerned because I have been having upper right abdominal pain, night sweats, fatigue and breast tenderness. Could I be pregnant? If not, should I be concerned? I saw my PCP last week for the abdominal pain and she originally thought it was gallbladder related but that has been ruled out. I had not missed my period yet when I met with her so I wasn't able to ask her. Now I have already begun my new pack of BC pills, but still not a trace of my period.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
hello,
Thanks for your query on health care magic.

Symptoms of Pain abdomen, fatigue and breast tenderness could be symptoms of pregnancy but not definitive.
Since you are on birth control pills and home pregnancy tests being negative, less likely you are pregnant.
Refer to your doctor to narrow down the causes of missed periods other than pregnancy like hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, excess weight gain/loss, stress , ovarian cyst.

I recommend you to
1. Get a transvaginal ultrasonography(TVS).
2. Nothing to worry if you are not pregnant. You will get your periods on finishing your next pack or even before.
3. If TVS detects pregnancy, stop BC pills immediately.

Failure rate of birth control pills range between 0.2-2%.
In simple words, less than 2 in hundred users of BC pills become pregnant.
So do not worry.

Hope this answers your query.
You may write to me anytime for further clarifications.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: On BC pill. Missing period. HPT negative. Started abdominal pain, night sweats and fatigue. Pregnant? 30 minutes later
Should I continue taking HPT if I do not get my period in the next few days? I am concerned because I missed the first pill of my last pack and had to double up on day 2..my husband and I also had unprotected sex last month. I have never missed a period in my life, so I am worried, especially because I am so regular and predictable. Would it be too early to detect the hormones for the HPT?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your reply.

Could you please let me know
1. When was your LMP(first day of last menstrual period)?
2. On which day of your periods did you start your previous pack of BC pills?

waiting for your reply,
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: On BC pill. Missing period. HPT negative. Started abdominal pain, night sweats and fatigue. Pregnant? 25 minutes later
The first day of my LMP was January 17th. And I was due to begin the previous pack on January 20th, but I forgot and doubled up the first and second pill on January 21st. I was due for my next period by February 14th, the latest. It is now almost the 19th and I have zero traces of my period. I do, however, have sore breasts, nausea, back pain and night sweats. Again, it's important to note that my husband and I had unprotected sex last month and the month before. I bought extra HPTs tonight, but I don't know when I should take them...

Thank you for your help!

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 11 minutes later
I appreciate your prompt reply.
It is 4 weeks and 5 days since your last LMP.
By this time gestational sac should be visible by TVS if you are pregnant.
I recommend you to get a transvaginal ultrasonography(TVS) today itself.
If TVS is positive for pregnancy, stop BC pills immediately.
If TVS is negative for pregnancy, then continue taking BC pills. You will get your periods once you finish your pack or even earlier.

HPT are very non specific. You need not continue testing with HPT once pregnancy is ruled out by TVS.

Hope this answers your query.
Please do not worry. Let doctors handle your situation.
There is solution for every problem.
Take care,
regards,
Dr nilofer