On Azax 500, winolap, throat infection, allergic to dust, cold, sneezes, sinus infection, antibiotic treatment

ENT Specialist
My doctor prescribed Azax 500 once daily for throat infection.Is it enough.I am 40 years old. I am allergic to dust and cold weather and frequently getting cold and sneezing. I am taking Winolap 5mg whenever cold starts, as prescribed by my physician.Otherwise it will turn to a sinus infection and I have to undergo antibiotic treatment.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

The severity of the throat infection can be assessed only after a throat examination. Most of the throat infections are viral initially and self-limiting. If your doctor feels that it is a mild infection then Azithromycin 500mg (Azax 500) can be taken. If the infection is a moderate or a severe variety then an appropriate antibiotic need to be taken. Along with this you should drink plenty of warm water, do gargles with Povidone iodine mouth washes 3-4 times/day after food and take anti-inflammatory medicines (such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac). Avoid oily and chilled food for few days.

Regarding your nasal allergy, there is no cure for the allergy related problems; only preventive measures can keep you away from this problem. Avoid sleeping directly under the fan, change the pillow cover every day before going to sleep and cover your nose with a clean cloth whenever exposed to dust or smoke.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck surgeon