On Augmentin. Suffering from diarrhoea and taking Immodium and probiotics. No improvement. Suggest the cure?

Psychiatrist
Question
I was put on Augmentin 850mg. I developed severe Diarrhea. It was d/c'd after 3 days and I was put on another antibiotic for Pneumonia. I have told my Dr. about this but he has no solution. I have had diarrhea for 21/2 weeks. I have been takin Immodium and probiotics but they haven't helped. What should I do to treat the diarrhea? I use the BR approximately 10 x per day. Electrolytes were normal but I take KCL 20mg daily. Have also been eating bananas and drinking G2. I have also been eating toast, rice banana, and crackers to no avail.
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its very unfortunate

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Augmentin does cause diarrhoea very frequently. However such a diarrhoea lasts for 2 to 7 days mostly. The fact that your diarrhoea lasted for more that two weeks is highly unfortunate.

I understand that you have tried many of the options. You should try diphenoxylate sodium. There is a preparation with the combination of atropine called lomotil.
This may help you with your diarrhoea.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: On Augmentin. Suffering from diarrhoea and taking Immodium and probiotics. No improvement. Suggest the cure? 21 hours later
I did try Lomotil but did not like the effect it had on my central nervous system. If I paid an additional amount could my problem be referred to a gastroenterologist? If I would get the same response from a gastro, it wouldn't be worth it.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to discuss with the customer care people

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your follow-up query.
Its good that you have tried lomotil but its unfortunate that you could not tolerate it. You have not mentioned what effect did it have on your diarrhoea and what central nervous system problems that it cause.
Regarding upgrading your query to a specialist query for gastroenterologist, you need to discuss this issue with the customer care people of Health Care Magic.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.