On Allegra fexofenodine and getting mood swings. What could be the cause?

Question
I would like your opinion on Allegra..My grandaughter is on it,,,She has very bad mood swings,,,I think it could be the Allegra...FEXOFENODINE...
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

Bad mood swings are very rare with fexofenadine, personally even in my practice I prescribe Allegra pills for many patients,there are no reports of any mood abnormalities. Dizziness,sedation,mild headaches and unable to concetrate are common side effects.

Its better to consult your treating Physician to sort out any other illness causing this.

Dr.SIVAYOGI

Follow-up: On Allegra fexofenodine and getting mood swings. What could be the cause? 19 hours later
I looked on line...so many people have had side effects..including bad dream, depression, lethargic, and many other things...I really do not think this is a good thing,,,FEXOFENODINE...for SOME people,,,Thank you very much for your input,,,

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 4 hours later

Welcome back,

Fexofenadine is a Anti-histaminic drug which has some sedative property. what it does is,it induces sleep but when you go to bed,you cannot completely feel the depth of sleep,so you feel tired. Some people may even experience dreams also. Because of un-satisfied sleep, patient feels lethargic.

All the above mentioned side effects doesn't bother you much. But as you said Bad mood swings are very rare.

I suggest you to consult your treating Physician to sort out any other issues related with this.

Dr. Sivayogi

Follow-up: On Allegra fexofenodine and getting mood swings. What could be the cause? 18 hours later
Thanks again...unsatisfied sleep, I see,,,O.K. We will check with her Physician...

Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 20 minutes later
You are welcome,

If you have any queries in the future get back to me i will help you.
Dr.SIVAYOGI