On 125 mg of thyroxin. Accidentally taken 5 x 100 mg of thyroxin. What are the side effects?

I am on 125 mg of thyroxin daily, but may have accidentally taken 5 x 100 thinking that they were 25 mm, what will happen if I have - I feel okay, but at the moment it is so hot here and I can't stand hot weather, so I wonder if this is a side effect
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Thyroxin is administered in range of 25-200mg/day.

As per your history, you have consumed 500 mg thyroxin/day.

So your feeling of heat intolerance is likely to be side effect of thyroxin high dose.

Avoid regular 25 mg/day for few days [5-7], so that excretion of thyroxin helps to relieve symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.