Old temples swollen in an infant, teething. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 5 months old temples are swollen. Is this normal? She seems to be fine otherwise. I know she's teething now though.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 57 minutes later
Hello ,
Swelling of temples selectively is most probably due to inflamed or overworked temporalis muscle . Such swelling when occurring without any significant associated symptoms is most probably due to excessive chewing or grinding movement of jaw which uses the temporalis muscle . Though its not very commonly seen in teething infants however it can occur in some babies with excessive mouthing while teething. It's not worrisome if baby has no associated symptoms of pain, redness or discomfort and should resolve on its own gradually once the teething phase is over .
As of now nothing needs to be done but if you notice any significant increase in swelling, prominent blood vessels , apparent discomfort or pain then you should get her evaluated by your pediatrician to rule out rare causes like arteritis or infection. In cases with painful swelling antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen might be prescribed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you and your baby good health .