Old scar from falling is bleeding occasionally. Can you explain why?

My husband has a scar on his leg from falling while running up bleacher stairs and this happened 17 years ago. However, the scar is bleeding today. He says this happens all the time off and on the whole 17 years he's had it. I think this sounds worrisome. He thinks it's no big deal. Can you explain why it might be bleeding?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your concern.

You are right this is not normal.

17 years is pretty long time for any scar to heal. Bleeding from scar is not normal and he should consult a doctor.

The reason for repeated bleeding could be:

1. Persistent infection in wound
2. Repeated trauma, may be minor one
3. Poor local skin condition
4. Rise in blood sugar

Please do send him to doctor for examination. More can be suggested after examination only.

Your doctor after examination will advise accordingly.

Please do not ignore.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: Old scar from falling is bleeding occasionally. Can you explain why? 10 hours later
Which type of doctor should we make an appointment with? My husband did suspect that his skin was just too thin there at the site of the scar, but never went to the doctor because he was afraid they wouldn't be able to do anything to help him, anyway. If it is a matter of thin skin, is there a treatment?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 42 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

First get in touch with your primary care physician.

He will after examination if needed will sent him to general surgeon.

He is right that skin on XXXXXXX of tibia (bone in leg) is always thin, still this does not mean that wound over it does not heal.

Please visit your doctor.