Old and out of shape. Heart rate races after strenuous exercise. Use a stationary bike?

I am seventy years old. I have a stationary bike wth all of the readouts, heart rate, calorie count, distance, etc., I am 6'3" 235 lbs. I want to exercise regularly as I have in the past, but my heart rate soars upward of 180 at times. Apprently I am out of shape or something. Had heart XXXXXXX done in 2009 which was good. I did run out of breath a few months ago while performing a strenuous task that I had done many times before. My dr. said I was just out of shape. Is this possible?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 minutes later

I must say that you are a little over weight for your height, try to lose around 55 pounds.
Try to do any cardio exercises including cycling, walking, cross trainer for 30 min. Along with weights which are not too heavy. The trick is to lift small weights many times.
Restrict calories to 2,400 calories per day. Keep in mind that each kilo of fat is around 1,200 calories so aim at 2 kilos a month. That means 24 kilos in a year.

Make sure while on cardio your heart rate does not exceed 140/min, Stop and take rest if it does so.

To come to your actual query, yes being over weight does make you go out of breath. Your heart must be fine as the XXXXXXX as proved so.

I hope i was of help. Please write back if you have any doubts.