Old age, on bed with dizziness, neck pain and low BP. Should she be medicating herself?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My mother is 81 5ft 7 average weight. She has been in bed for over a week, very dizzy can't get out of bed.
Has had neck pain and is very tearful. She has spoken to a doctor over the phone and he has said she has low blood pressure.
Should she been seen by a doctor or taking medication.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Low blood pressure can be common in this age and may be due to inadequate fluid intake.
But vertigo has many other causes like inner ear problems, fluid electrolyte imbalances and neuropathies due to spinal cord or brain related problems.

So a detailed clinical evaluation by your doctor is needed to confirm the cause and plan appropriate treatment. I encourage you to take your mom to your physician at the earliest if possible.

Meanwhile you can try to maintain proper hydration by giving her oral rehydration solution or homemade soft and liquid diet.

Hope I have provided you with useful information and suggestions. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further follow ups. I will be available to answer any other queries that you may have.