Old age fall. Bump on head that hurts. Is an ice pack enough?

An 81 year old female took a short fall to the floor and got a goose bump on the top of her head.
She does not have a headache, but when she touches the bump on the head it hurts. She has applied
ice. Should we have any other major or minor worry?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your query.

What you are calling a goose bump is a haematoma or collection of blood under the skin. It will gradually go down over the next few days and of itself is nothing to worry about.

Make sure to wake this lady up after she has been asleep for more than a few hours to see that she is alert and well. This is just as a precaution for 24 hours after a head injury.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do not hesitate to write back to me if you have any doubts.

Wishing her a speedy recovery and good health.