Okay to have colonoscopy while taking Doxycycline? Had abdominal and pelvic pain. CT scan showed horseshoe kidney

Is it OK to have a colonoscopy while on anti-biotic doxycycline ? Routine Colonoscopy was scheduled 3 months ago for this Wednesday.

Last month I began having upper abdominal pains as well as pain in the pelvic region. Ultrasounds normal. Follow up Cat Scan normal except horseshoe kidney.

For the last month I have been on several rounds of Macrobid and Cipro prior to Doxycyline. Repeated Urine Cultures are normal although initially showed WBC and blood in urine which doctor determined possible UTI. When cultures returned normal while still experiencing pain Gynocologist performed exam and determine pelvic infection. To date I have taken 2 full days of 100mg twice daily doxycycline with some relief. Side effects include bloatedness as I did with Macrobid and Cipro. (Feels like gas build up.)

Colonoscopy scheduled for this Wednesday with bowel prep on Tuesday.

Is it better to wait on colonoscopy until infection has cleared and finished round of doxycycline?
- Assuming I will have to stop doxycycline (or will be flushed out with bowel prep) to perform colonoscopy will that cause infection to return or is this a good time to investigate with colonoscopy?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 23 minutes later

Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist

There is no problem if you are on antibiotic like doxycycline for colonoscopy. Skipping of antibiotic for one day will not cause any harm. Bloating may be due to doxycycline only. So I will advise that there is no need to postpone colonoscopy.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.