Oily skin,pimples,antibiotics,acne creams

Sir i have oily skin with full of pimples. how to get rid of it ? i have tried antibiotics and some acne creams . but it's not working . please suggest a remedy.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your skin.

Thank you for submitting the pictures as well as this does give me a good idea of the severity of the acne which you are dealing with. As you know there are many preparations and combinations of antibiotics and a topical creams which can be used. This is usually done in combination with a hygiene regimen including washing the face 2 to 3 times per day.

Regarding the regimen which works best. It looks like if you have been tried on several regimens it may be necessary to consider another option. There is a prescription called Accutane which is used in patients who are refractory to topical and antibiotic regiments.

Some patients will use Accutane for a few months or possibly a year or two until the acting is under good control. This is not a medication which one would need to take for life.

As an alternative you could try taking a daily antibiotic such as doxycycline along with a topical regimen such as Retin-A or tretinoin. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to find the right antibiotic that will control your acne.

For the time being I would recommend that you use a daily cleansing regimen of benzoyl peroxide along with a topical preparation such as tretinoin. Doxycycline might be a good choice to try as an alternative to the antibiotic what you are taking right now. If all of this is not successful you could consider asking for a prescription for Accutane.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I am here to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Oily skin,pimples,antibiotics,acne creams 9 hours later
let me know more about accutane . is that a tablet. can i have it without any prescription . i am from kerala in india . wheather this treatment available here.
Follow-up: Oily skin,pimples,antibiotics,acne creams 2 hours later
i'm 20 years old .weight 65 kg . WHAT ABOUT THE DOSAGE OF doxycycline
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Accutane or isotretinoin is actually a prescription that you must obtain from a physician. It is available in India.

Regarding the doxycycline the dosage would generally be 100 mg twice daily for the first 7 days and then just 100 mg daily thereafter for daily dosing.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer was reassuring, informative and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga