Oily scalp. Any solution to reduce this ?

my scalp is creating too much oil.
I am regularly taking morning head bath with proper shampoo, then with in 5 hours again my scalp / hair is becoming too oily. it is very big problem for me, please can you tell me any good shampoo or solution for this.
My father is suffering from HIV / AIDS.
He is using VIRADAY from last two months as per some good APOLLO doctor suggestion, as his CD4 count is 207.

Is really VIRADAY will help to increase / improve CD4 or health ?

Please clarify it ?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 22 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

It is very normal to have oil on scalp as every hair follicle has a oil gland at the base of it.This oil is the natural conditioner which one has in body.But there are times when this oil secretion becomes more and causes a problem,as in your case.

It would not be easy to reduce it permanently as this is a very natural phenomenon occurring in one's body.

If you have been using a shampoo ,I would advise you to try change it some other shampoo ,preferably a medicated one .You can use one containing 2% ketoconazole & ZPTO (Zinc Pyrithione ).If this doesn't work then you can even try one containing cyclopiroxiolamine base.

Also avoid using any hair serum or hair oil if at all you are using.

There is also one medicine which can reduce the oil from the skin and that is oral retinoids .This I would say is a off label use of this tablet,but can be tried if nothing helps.The company doesn't give any indication for it to reduce oil from the hair ,but can be tried as it helps reduce oil from the face very effectively .

For this prescription you need to consult a dermatologist who can consult & guide you regarding the side effects of the tablet as well.

Regarding your fathers HIV medicine .VIRADAY is a new drug containing Efavirenz, Emtricitabine & Tenofovir DF .This basically works at the DNA level to reduce the viral load.And this would indirectly helps in increasing the CD4 count.This drug also prevents the infection to reach to advanced stage of AIDS.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any'.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Follow-up: Oily scalp. Any solution to reduce this ? 10 hours later
Is psoriasis is curable.

If some one is suffering a lot from psoriasis, what is the permanent solution.

Is there any tretment for permanent solution in any country

Is homeopathy can help to cure permanently.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Psoriasis is a chronic problem.If not completely cured ,it can definitely be controlled to the extent that you may just need moisturizers to keep it dormant.
There are different types of psoriasis and treatment outcome also depends upon which type one has .

Even though the exact cause of psoriasis is not known ,but there are few aggravating factors ,which needs to be seen and avoided. Just to point few, is the use of anti inflammatory drugs ( few painkillers) & stress can aggravate psoriasis. One has to control stress ,so that this doesn't aggravate the disease. Alcohol in take also can aggravate the disease.

There are various treatment available in allopathy.This depends upon the extent of disease and type of psoriasis.
The most important is the use of moisturizers at least 3-4 times a day.
Apart from topical steroid creams ,there is calcipotriol & tazoretine which is the latest of the lot for limited psoriasis.
For extensive psoriasis ,we have oral methotrexate ,cyclosporin ,mycophenolate mofetil etc. Once psoriasis is controlled with the above medicines it becomes easy to keep it suppressed with the use of just moisturizers.
Another safe and effective therapy is PHOTOTHERAPY.This is of two types -PUVA & NBUVB.These are specialized light therapy which helps heal psoriasis effectively.

The latest is use of Biologics in psoriasis. These are very effective injectable medicines which are given in weekly doses.

This is just to brief you with the treatment options available .But please remember, always take treatment from a dermatologist and not otherwise .A skin specialist would understand your skin best.There are various diseases in skin that not only effects skin but also effects one mentally ,and that is the reason you need a specialist to understand you best.

As I am a allopathic doctor ,I've no idea about homeopathy medicines.
In allopathy lot of research has been done in the subject and treatment is based on logic and ethics. The treatment discussed above is globally followed all over the world .

We need to understand one thing here while treating psoriasis that there are lot of diseases whose permanent cure is not there ,but disease can be effectively controlled so that one can live life comfortably.

Hope this would help you in understanding psoriasis.If you have any further query ,kindly write back to us.I would be happy to answer them.

Dr.Bharat chawda