Oily dandruff, itchy scalp and hair fall leading to baldness. What can be done?

I am 27/Female, I have this oily dandruff. My scalp is itchy and there is severe hairfall almost leading to baldness. I am having this problem since almost 5years now. My once long and healthy hair have reduced to near baldness. What should I do??
Please suggest XXXXXXX
52 Kgs
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You are suffering from oily dandruff with severe itching and hair fall. It most probably looks like ‘Seborrhoeic dermatitis’.

In seborrheic dermatitis, the scalp becomes red and inflamed and the skin flakes off. This type of dandruff is more severe than common dandruff and it is characteristic of greasy, bran-like scale dandruff. It is caused by fungal infections. This condition becomes worse in winter and tends to improve in summer when sunlight relieves its symptoms.

Hair fall is very common in patients suffering from dandruff/ seborrheic dermatitis. Hence this condition may resolve with proper treatment of dandruff and dermatitis.

You will need to first get your scalp examined by a Dermatologist and send the skin scrapings for examination. Also simultaneously you need to apply anti fungal lotion/ shampoo such as Nizaral. Oral antifungal medication can increase the effectiveness of topical lotions / shampoo. Your dermatologist can help you prescribing oral medications.

If there are other factors like emotional problems, hard shampoos, exposure to severe cold, excessive intake of oily and sweet foods - influencing dandruff, it should also be dealt with.

Avoid using combs used by other people especially, when a person is suffering dandruff. If you are suffering from dandruff and if you are using an anti dandruff shampoo, make sure you wash your comb every time after using the shampoo.

A good hygiene and healthy hair care regime can keep away dandruff to a great extend .Shampoo at least once a week. While washing your hair, avoid the water from your hair dripping down your face as it may cause pimples.

Do not allow your hair to remain wet for a long time. Leaving the scalp wet for a long time facilitates growth of dandruff. In order to control dandruff, add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo. This will help you to fight dandruff considerably. You should then be able to solve the hair fall issue.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Oily dandruff, itchy scalp and hair fall leading to baldness. What can be done? 43 hours later
i have used Sebowash but it has not been effective and apart from this my Doctor didnot prescribe any oral medication. What should I do in such case?

regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Radhika 22 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

If your regular shampoo has not been effective in treating the problem, then you may try and alternative antifungal shampoo such as Nizaral. But sometimes using a lotion or shampoo alone may not be effective in treating severe dandruff. Oral medication would increase the effectiveness.

Has the doctor sent the skin scrapings for examination? I think we may be able to get to the root of the cause by studying your scalp scraping under the microscope.

Balding is an issue which should be dealt with effective and right treatment. You may consider a second opinion from a dermatologist. There are patient written reviews for doctors in our listing and those can guide you for a better doctor if you need. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.