Off contraceptive pill, brown discharge, pregnancy test negative

23 years old, female, 155lbs, 5'8". Irregular periods whole life. When I'm on the pill it is very regular. I am currently not on the pill. I have had light red mixed with brownish (old blood) color discharge mainly after I use the restroom. Took home test twice, both negative. Any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

Irregular vaginal spotting specially after withdrawing from the pill in the absence of pregnancy suggests that there is some hormonal imbalance or a cervical lesion which is causing the recurrent spotting. But before coming to a conclusion, I would like to know few more things which will help me in suggesting you better. Please do answer the following:

1) Are you having this spotting every time you use the restroom?

2) Are you having a heavy bleeding during your periods?

3) Does the spotting after a bowel or bladder movement occur only on the tissue or it continues afterwards also?

4) Do you suffer with any diagnosed medical conditions?

5)Do you experience similar spotting after sexual intercourse also?

6) What is the duration of your cycle now?

7) When did you have your periods last time?

Kindly reply me with the answers as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Off contraceptive pill, brown discharge, pregnancy test negative 10 hours later
Yes, this constant spotting has gone on for over a month now. I avent been on the pill for over 6 months. No medical conditions and no bleeding after intercourse. It doesn't occur only after using restroom. Sometimes I have to use small pad while at work.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The irregular bleeding can be due to hormonal disturbance / cervical polyp / vaginal infection or cervical dysplasia.

You need to have complete blood tests, hormone profiles, ultrasound lower abdomen, vaginal swab and PAP smear for diagnosis.

I encourage you to visit a gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Hope my answers are useful and informative. Should you have additional concerns, I will be available to address them.

Wishing you an early recovery.