Ask a Urologist   »  

Odd urine smell, tested for diabetes. Could it be a menopausal symptom?

My urine has a odd smell. I was tested for diabetes a year ago, and although the level is not where I would like it is less than 100. I had the smell then but didnt think anything of it, but I am getting worried now. Is it as simple as drinking more water or something more serious. I am also no HCTZ as a diuretic. I am 42 would it be a pre menopausal symptom?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Odd smelling urine without any other associated symptoms like burning, frequency of micturition, fever, etc., may be harmless finding. It is not likely to be associated with perimenopause.

There are few possible causes for smelly urine, and have to be ruled out. A simple test on the urine can quickly identify / rule out these conditions.

1. Infection is the commonest cause.
2. There are also conditions that affect the salts and other chemicals produced by the body, which when appearing in urine might make it offensive.
3. Few people develop this problem without an obvious cause
4. In a few instances this problem can sometimes be associated with the use of certain vitamin and supplements or from imbalances in your diet.

I suggest the following measures:

a. The first step is to get a couple of urine samples analysed. Infections and chemical disturbances can be picked up easily by the urine test.
b. I'll just ask you to consider something else – diet, drugs and supplements. - If you are taking anything of that type, try stopping it and see if the problem goes away.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.