Occult blood positive in child

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Occult blood positive a child 2 years old
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 28 minutes later

It would be good to know few more details about the health status of the child. I would also like to know why was the stool test done for the child in the first place.

The cause of positive occult blood in a 2 year old child can be due to a variety of causes,
1. Worm infestation
2. Meckel's diverticulum
3. Polyps
4. Congenital vascular malformations.

A detailed history , physical exam and if necessary radiological investigations will help in finding the cause.

Follow-up: Occult blood positive in child 1 hour later
He is usualy a healthy child. he suffres from diarrhea for 9 days. his tests results are:
Campylobacter negative.
E.coli O157,Stool negative.
Occult blood,Stool positive.
Rota Virus detection,Stool, negative.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Is the child being given Vit C supplements?

Was the test done after the child was fed with red meats, or cold cuts?

Was the test done after the child had salads in form of raw vegetables and fruits?

Is he febrile when he has loose motions? Is the first time that the report was done and it is positive?

If all the above factors are negative then there is a likelihood of inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis or the other causes I had mentioned.This will require proper endoscopic evaluation.

Anticipating your response.
Follow-up: Occult blood positive in child 20 hours later
I don't remember the answer to all. the test was in the morning I don't remember what he ate a night earlier. but it's the first test. I understand that I should repeat the test, corect?
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Allow a period of at least 4 weeks to elapse. Take the necessary precautions before testing with respect to dietary intake. Thereafter Repeat the test again.

Hope, you found my recommendations useful. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.